2.01.2012

"Violent Games" - Poliça

Violent Games

Being a proud Minnesotan, I support Minnesotan musicians. We are very fortunate to have an incredible local music scene, as well as a truly exceptional radio station to showcase that music.The Current recently celebrated their 7th birthday at First Ave, and Poliça was the closing act. Their performance was highly anticipated, as the group had received a lot of positive buzz since releasing songs of their debut album "Give You The Ghost" (this album is incredible - it's available for electronic purchase now and the CD/vinyl will be released on Valentine's day). They did not disappoint. Their performance was truly captivating and their sound is amazing. I've been listening to their album on repeat since that show, and this song has really resonated with me. 


I generally like to listen to the lyrics of a song to feel a real connection to the meaning & emotion behind it, but this is a song of few words, and what really catches my attention is the overwhelming sound. The track opens with what sounds like an alarm and continues to build and lose control. It feels very futuristic, almost apocalyptic, and the minimal lyrics tell of desperation; the repeated idea of violent games and the raw sound make it feel animalistic.


Those were the ideas I wanted to invoke with this look, and what better designer to showcase than Alexander McQueen? His work typically has a dark beauty that is simply fascinating to me, and that mysteriousness was perfect for this song. I added some modern, rough around the edges, and a little over-the-top accessories to allude to the dystopian future in which I envision the wearer of this look living.


Unfortunately there's not a link to listen to this particular track, but here's the video for another track, "Lay Your Cards Out" (another really amazing song), and I very much encourage you to purchase their album!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, hello. Share what you think!