3.21.2012

"King of the World" - First Aid Kit

King of the World

First Aid Kit has quickly become one of my favorite bands. I'm so amazed by them - they're a Swedish sister duo but their music is so old country you'd think they were direct descendants of the Coal Miner's Daughter herself. This song is the closing number on their debut album The Lion's Roar, and though it was difficult to choose which one to feature, I found myself drawn to this one. I love it's declarations of being nobody's baby, everybody's girl, queen of nothing, king of the world. 


It's all about feeling insecure yet confident at the same time and trying to understand where you fit in. Although the message is somewhat unsure, I still feel that evokes this sense of strength. Like the storyteller is saying, sure, I don't have it figured out yet, but I know that I will and in the meantime I'll do my best. That's why I wanted to pair this with such a strong look.


Those Roberto Cavalli pants are killer, right? Totally undeniable. I wanted to build the ensemble around them, with more metallic accents to allude to the royalty that's wearing it. I also included the soft Clover Canyon top to represent the unknowing - it's a lovely print of the horizon and reminds us that we are a small piece of a huge puzzle. It keeps the look a bit more grounded.


Listen to the song here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, hello. Share what you think!