3.07.2012

"Skinny Love" - Birdy

Skinny Love

Oh my, it's been awhile, hasn't it? Let me explain: I've been traveling for work, the end (good explanation). 
To be honest, I've also been suffering from a bit of writer's block. I've been collecting all these gorgeous and unique pieces to put some new looks together and struggling a bit to find the music to match. So really I've been spending most of my time combing through Spotify to find some more songs to inspire me. 

I love Bon Iver. He's become a bit more of a big deal of late, what with the two Grammys and all, and I am happy to have listened to his music prior to his nominations & wins. I can't claim to be a true fan from the beginning, however - my boyfriend likes to remind me that he saw Bon Iver in 2007 at Pitchfork before For Emma, Forever Ago even came out (yes, I am dating a hipster, but a mild one, I assure you) - and I must confess that when someone first recommended him to me I thought they were saying "Boney Bear", but I like to believe that my fandom has made up for lost time. I had the opportunity to see him live at the Orpheum this past fall, and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. 

I want to do his latest album justice, but it's taking me some time to decipher the lyrics. So for this post I'm cheating a bit and posting a cover of a Bon Iver song (my unwritten rule is to not duplicate artists as I post; this way I can still post from his sophomore album. Hooray for tricking the system that I created and has no real consequence if I break!). I discovered this song on Spotify (yikes, product placement much?) and it really is a gorgeous cover. I hadn't known anything about Birdy until tonight - my, my, this young lady is talented. She's 16 (!!) and released this cover when she was 15. She simplifies Justin Vernon's song even further, complementing her truly lovely voice with piano. 

The song itself is just heartbreaking, much like the album from whence it came. It's about a relationship that is failing/has failed, and the longing for it to last. This ensemble attempts to evoke that longing, with delicate details that allude to the wearer's fragile emotions, as well as some more rugged notes to represent the wearers jaded views coming out of the experience. 


Listen to the song here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, hello. Share what you think!