1.11.2012

"The Wilhelm Scream" - James Blake

The Wilhelm Scream - James Blake

Happy New Year, everyone! I hope everyone enjoyed their various holidays with friends and/or family. I was fortunate enough to enjoy a wonderful week long vacation at Summit Lake Lodge in Moose Pass, Alaska. It was pretty refreshing to be totally unplugged for seven days, and I was able to come up with a decent list of future posts - I'm so excited to share them all with you!


Without further ado, so begins the first real post of 2012. Fittingly, its inspiration was a song I heard on NPR's All Songs Considered podcast featuring the best music of 2011. I had heard this song by James Blake before on The Current, but this was the first time I was able to listen with headphones and really envelop myself in the sound. Boy, am I glad I did. This song is incredible.


The lyrics are simple in theory, focusing on the idea of "fallin', fallin', fallin', fallin'", but the melody just builds on itself in a really profound way. It begins somewhat dark but dreamy with a little bit of a futuristic feel and then grows in intensity and almost loses control. I think the folks at NPR summed it up best when they described it as a "startling sound".


This look is a tamer version of what I feel in this song. It starts with a simple, dark, elegant gown and the wearer just continues to add on to it with louder and louder accessories. I am seriously loving all the neon I'm seeing right now, and I was excited at the chance to incorporate it into this look.


Listen to the song here.


1 comment:

  1. That black dress, is amazing, I love it.

    ReplyDelete

Oh, hello. Share what you think!